Friday, September 12, 2008

Saying Goodbye

From the time Collin was about 6 months or so he has been deeply in love with his binky--aka the "B".  It literally has been his constant companion.  On Wednesday my baby boy said goodbye.

It was time really.
But it was hard.  Hard for him, and hard for me.  
It still is hard, but with a new baby coming shortly, I just knew that if it didn't happen now it probably wouldn't happen until he was 4 or older.  He has shed many tears, as have I over this loss.  It has been incredibly difficult for me to see my little boy longing so much for his constant companion that is no longer with him.  I just want him to be happy.

I got an idea on helping Collin give up his "B" from a blog (blogstalking does have its benefits!) and tweaked it a little.  On Tuesday night while Collin was sleeping some magic little friends (Leprechauns really) came to visit.  They left him a present and a note.   

Here is the little guy excited about the present his special visitors had left him.

Inside were some little Sesame Street cars.  

The note asked Collin to put his "B" in the bag that his present was in and take it outside for the Leprechauns to come and collect.  He happily met the challenge.  He took it outside and said, "Bye "B"!"  and came back inside to play with his newly acquired cars.  I quickly snuck outside and threw the "B" in the garbage.  A little while later, he told me "My "B" is on the sidewalk--have to get more at the store!"  What a smart kiddo!   He has too much logic for this plan to be fool proof. 

Night time sleeping has gotten better in the past few days.  He doesn't even cry anymore.  Naps on the other hand are almost non existent and involve a lot of tears.  I am just not ready for him to give up those naps yet!  And he has become a super momma's boy.  He ONLY wants me. 

Three days down!  
I hope we have made it through the worst of this situation.  I look forward to a happier little boy whose eyes aren't quite so tired throughout the day!

No comments: