Saturday, August 18, 2012

Lyla, Month XII




To My Lyla:

Today you turn one!  I can't believe it.  I have mixed emotions about today.  Sad that you are no longer my little baby, and happy about you growing and learning new things!  What an amazing day it was the day you were born.  One that I will never forget.  Seeing you and holding you for the first time was truly one of the best moments of my life.  And each day since then has been such a blessing.  You have brought us so much joy and happiness.  You bring so much sweetness into our lives.  We are better because of you.  Because of who you are.  Who you have made me.  Who you have made your daddy. And who you have made Sophie, Collin, and Ruby.  We love you!

Lyla you have mastered the stairs.  At least going up the stairs.  And you love it!  You love being able to follow the kids upstairs.   They run up to play and you are crawling along behind them just as fast as your little body can carry you. You are in heaven just being with them!  Sometimes you get up there and realize they aren't there, and then you cry.

Your favorite thing in the world right now is sitting on the couch with mom or dad.  Although I wouldn't really call it sitting.  You crawl, and climb, and scoot, and slip, and slide all over it.  And you like to do it with mom or dad because we keep you from falling off! You definitely aren't a baby that sits still.  Ever.  You also like to do this on mom and dads bed!  It is an especially fun way to wake daddy up in the morning!!

You started taking baths like a big girl this week.  And you are so delighted with it.  You splash, and climb and splash some more.  Until it is time to wash your hair.  We haven't quite figured out the best way to do that yet.  So while you are so excited to get in the bath, you usually come out crying.

At a year you still don't talk, yet you communicate your every desire with a few "ugh, ugh, ugh" followed by hand waving (pushing objects away) or grabbing at things.  You do however have your own language and speak fluently in it!  If one of the kids does something you don't approve of, you are sure to let them know!  And you tell the best stories.  I try to listen closely to everything you say and follow up with a "really!"  This usually encourages you to tell me more.  I love it!

My favorite thing about you at a year is cuddling first thing in the morning.  You aren't much of a cuddler, but sometimes if I am extra lucky after I feed you your morning bottle, you will cuddle with me.  I love rubbing your soft baby skin, kissing your squishy cheeks, and smelling your curly-q locks!  There is nothing better.

Happy first birthday Lyla Kate! You are someone special!  We love you.  Forever and always.
XOXO
Your Momma



1 comment:

Hannah said...

happy first birthday lyla!!