Wednesday, December 22, 2010

friendly beasts

Last weekend {right before the wave of stomach flu hit Logan and I ... the kids all had it just a few days earlier} we went to my parents house to celebrate the season with my siblings. My mom always goes all out making it a great night. I always look forward to this family party every year. Not because of the food, the company, or the gifts ... although those are bonuses, but because of the program that is put on. Mostly by the kids ... but by the adults too. This year the kids added a new song to the mix of stories and music. They were too cute! And it was super special to see them remind us of the reason we celebrate this time of year.

Jesus our brother kind and good
was humbly born in a stable good
the friendly beast around him stood
Jesus our brother kind and good.


I said the donkey shaggy and brown
I carried his mother uphill and down
I carried his mother to bethlehem town
I said the donkey shaggy and brown


I said the cow all white and red
I gave him my manger for a bed
I gave him my hay to pillow his head
I said the cow all white and red


I said the sheep with the curly horn
I gave him my wool to keep him warm
He wore my coat on Christmas morn
I said the sheep with the curly horn


I said the dove from the rafters high
I cooed him to sleep so he would not cry
I cooed him to sleep my mate and I
I said the dove from the rafters high


Next we broke out the bells ...


and sang some Christmas carols.
Sophie even had to have a red nose {just like she did for her school program!}


Then Grandma shared stories ...


and we ended the night with gifts.

Unfortunately the next day Logan and I had to miss one of his family parties because we were still sick. We didn't get to see the kids put on the Nativity.

the Nativity Scene 2009

But we are grateful to all be healthy again ... just in time for Christmas day! I can't believe it will be here in just 3 short days!

No comments: