Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Celebrating Summer: Red, White, and Blue

I'm not much of a baker (I like it . . . but it seems to take up a lot of time, and it creates a lot of unnecessary treats around my house that I end up eating) but every once in a while I get a baking bug. Today was once of those days. When I was little, at Christmas time I remember helping my mom make some delicious cookies called Festive Cream Sandwiches. It had been forever since we have made these. I could barely remember how they tasted. When Ruby was blessed I asked my mom to bring some of these cookies and when I bit into one they were even better than I remembered them. I have been thinking about them ever since. We only made them at Christmas time, but I thought why not make them to celebrate our upcoming holiday, the 4th of July! So the kids and I had a lot of fun making these cookies with a Red, White, and Blue flare.

I made the dough and the kids rolled it into marble sized balls and smashed the balls with a fork.

Then came the frosting . . .



I really had to take a step back and tell myself that it didn't really matter how they looked. The kids were having a great time . . . and they all taste the same, right?!?!




Collin just couldn't resist. After he got frosting on his first cookie, he put the top on it and started eating! MMmmMmm!!!!


Sophie couldn't resist either. Only instead of going for the cookies, she went straight for the frosting. Watching her lick that knife makes you want to eat some of our cookies, doesn't it?


Those look so yummy!


And they taste yummy too! You know you want one!

Later in the evening, I told Sophie she did an excellent job making cookies and that she should be a baker when she grows up. She didn't like that idea. It doesn't fit with her plans of becoming a Fire Fighter AND a Teacher! Such a cute girl!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

mmmmm...those DO look so good. i love, love, love sugar cookies with yummy frosting. such great pics!

Anna said...

I want to come to your house :) And I've eaten at your house more than once and think you're a great cook!